A couple of days after our last encounter, I see Karl in the distance when Owner, Sassy's owner, Sassy and I approach the warm drink store. Is he every going to talk to me again? I wonder. I behaved badly, but I did try to make amends.
His owner brings him closer to the store, near where my group is already settled. I try to come across as friendly but not too needy with “Hey, how’s it going?”
“I’m fine.”
Wow, he really knows how to hold a grudge, I think. I need to nip this thing in the bud. If only because he's really gotten under my skin. In fact, I've been losing sleep over his dreamy stare and aloof manner.
“Look, it seems like we’re going to run into each other quite a bit here, so maybe we can be friends? I’m sorry I was a jerk earlier, but you still seem upset about it.”
“You were the one with the attitude problem,”
“True. But now I’m apologizing again” I reply.
“You’re not who I thought you were. I thought you were cool.”
OK, I’ve had enough, I think. I start to growl softly.
Owner, who was talking with Sassy’s owner, snaps to attention, tells me to stop, and waves the green spray bottle around. Uh oh.
Owner and Sassy’s owner finish up their drinks and get up from the table, taking us with them. Sassy has been observing the interaction between Karl and me over the last few visits. After the last one, she told me to give up, it was a lost cause. Now she said loud enough for Karl to hear, “Forget this loser. You can move on to better and bigger things.” She sashayed away from him. I wish I had her confidence and, well, sass. Anytime I try to exhibit some pluck, it always backfires on me. Like with Karl.
As we head off, I look back at him and think that maybe Sassy is right. I should find another dog to lavish my attention on. A dog that really understands me.
No comments:
Post a Comment